Saturday, June 2, 2012

Four women, one pair of floral trousers


Beatrice Hurst 29, fashion and prop stylist (above)
Beatrice played up the flamboyance of the trousers with an exuberant T-shirt.My style is fun, I hope. It has a masculine edge and it's a bit slouchy. I like jeans and trousers and vintage dresses, but I don't take it all too seriously. My favourite saying is, 'It's just fashion.' I don't really like shopping, probably because I look at so many clothes every day. I really have to love something to buy it.

I appreciate craftsmanship and quality but I don't care about designer labels; if I like it I get it, no matter where it's from. I love Isabel Marant's label and on the high street I like Zara. For vintage I go to Paper Dress on Curtain Road in east London. I travel to America a lot for work and I've developed a weakness for tacky T-shirts from Target. There's also a great vintage shop in Miami Beach called Fly Boutique.

I usually wear my dad's old watch and I like jewellery by Tamara Gomez or vintage pieces - one of my rings from Spitalfields Market is made from an old spoon. I love colour and I'll always have bright-pink lipstick and toenails. I like shoes to be bright, leopard-skin or metallic. If I'm not wearing them my friends say, 'Where are your gold shoes?'

beatricehurst.com

Lizzie Greene 43, owner of Mishka, a vintage clothes shop


Lizzie wears: Pink floral and polka-dot cotton trousers, £45; Preen Debenhams Editions debenhams.com . Green cotton wedges, £565; Charlotte Olympia charlotteolympia.com . Multicoloured enamel bangles, from £385 each; Hermès uk.hermes.com . Top, jacket, sunglasses, rings, necklace and belt, all from Mishka Vintage. Photo: Richard Stow

Lizzie mixed the trousers with vintage pieces for a luxurious, dramatic effect. My personal style is a mix of the Orient and Bohemia, a crossover of art and fashion. I love chinoiserie and highly decadent textiles. I don't dress as ethnically as I did. With age things change and the Stevie Nicks-style and Ossie Clark dresses that I love don't work as well now. I've had three children and I'm curvier so I wear more 'wiggly' stuff.

I didn't want to dress these trousers down. It's more fun mixing it up. I like print with print. I think plain and print is a very 1990s thing, like wearing black and white. I have a huge source of vintage pieces to choose from and my style can be very schizophrenic. Tonight I'm going to an octogenarian's birthday party and I'll be wearing a 1930s silk-crêpe kimono.

I don't take clothes too seriously. I loathe the 'niceness' of fashion and love eccentrics. Dressing is an expression of your personality. I want to nurture everyone's inner Isabella Blow. I like what Vivienne Westwood says: 'People should dress importantly.'

Mishka Vintage Clothing, 212a Middle Lane, London N8 020 8341 3853

Monique Borst 46, food-business development consultant


Monique wears: Trousers, as before. Navy wool blazer, £588; ALC, Matches matchesfashion.com . Blue suede shoes, £440, by Manolo Blahnik 020 7352 3863. Yellow-gold necklace, £149, by Henriette Lofstrom, from Kabiri kabiri.co.uk .Black leather satchel, £595; Mulberry mulberry.com . White cotton shirt by Hawes & Curtis, Monique's own. Photo: Richard Stow

Monique kept her look classic by mixing the statement trousers with timeless pieces. My style is casually classic. I dress for comfort first and foremost. Fit is really important to me. When I find something that I like and it suits my shape I'll stick with it.

I knew immediately that I'd wear these trousers with a jacket and white shirt. I love fitted jackets, and a white shirt is a staple; it very quickly crisps something up. I like Hawes & Curtis shirts in 'hipster' fit. They're quite fitted and long - good for tucking into trousers.

In my line of work clothes don't need to do the talking. People judge what you're wearing to an extent, but I don't necessarily have to be fashionable. In fact, I don't want the attention to be on me when I'm in a client meeting. For work, even at my most dressed up, I'm usually still in jeans. I'd wear these trousers to an event, maybe a menu tasting, or if I was going to do a presentation - something where I should be the focal point.

moniqueborst.com

Cher Webb 31, senior make-up artist at Mac


Cher wears: Trousers, as before. Pink suede jacket, £1,000, by Acne acnestudios.com . Grey cotton vest, £70; Helmut Lang, London W11 020 7985 1184. Pink and white patent-leather crêpe-soled shoes, £145; Underground, Urban Outfitters urbanoutfitters.co.uk . Hat, jewellery and bag, Cher's own. Photo: Richard Stow

Cher wanted to toughen up the trousers in her own rocky style. I'm not a classic dresser; in fact, I try to go against classic. I've got 13 tattoos and pink hair. My look is a bit rocky, edgy, bohemian. I love textured things and layers and lots of jewellery. I'm feminine, but not in a girlie way.

I'm a vests-and-jacket person. I wear a leather jacket nearly every day and I love waistcoats. I buy vests from Topshop and Urban Outfitters and stretch them out so that they're really big. I also love second-hand vests from charity shops, the older and more worn the better.

I don't really wear high heels but I like wedges and I like these thick-soled brothel creepers because they're such a brilliant colour and they make me taller.

I like silver and turquoise Native American-style jewellery, which I usually buy on eBay. I travel for work 70 per cent of the year, so I also pick up necklaces and scarves at markets when I'm away.

I'd wear this look to a festival (this year I'll be at the Secret Garden Party in Cambridgeshire and Burning Man in America) or to a fashion week party - somewhere I want to stand out.

maccosmetics.co.uk

---

Fashion by Kate Rose Morris
Photographs by Richard Stow
Hair and make-up: Jaimee Thomas at Frank Agency, using Kiehl's and Mac
Hair and make-up assistant: Jerry Chaplin
Photographer's Assistant: Jonathan Hines
Fashion Assistant: Cat Cutler


Via: Four women, one pair of floral trousers

0 comments:

Post a Comment