Friday, June 8, 2012

Marc Jacobs: I was never a fat heroin addict


Marc Jacobs has spoken to Interview magazine about the wonderful combination of drugs, smoking and Victoria Beckham.

Jacobs touches on his former drug addiction, for which he entered rehab in 1999 and then again in 2007 following a relapse, and is seemingly mortified by the suggestion that he was overweight whilst an addict.

READ: Marc Jacobs to launch make-up line

"That was the stupidest thing I ever heard because first of all I was never a fat heroin addict, I was a skinny heroin addict, and I got over that luckily…I was fat when I stopped doing drugs, not fat while I was doing drugs. I don't know anyone who's fat when they're doing drugs."

The designer famously buffed up his body after his second stint in rehab, before which he was slightly chubby, long-haired, un-tattooed and non-skirt wearing.

But there's still one addiction Jacobs hasn't quite quit - smoking, which he calls "the best", and combined with sleeping it's one of his "favourite things".

READ: Rebel tamed: Marc Jacobs interview

Speaking of his spring/summer 2008 campaign which featured Victoria Beckham he said: Victoria would never have been the type of person that I think anyone would have thought of as our customer," Jacobs says. "Victoria liked the idea very much and was totally into it so I said to Juergen Teller: 'Let's treat her like she's a kind of product.' Because she is, she's created herself… And the first image you saw was just her legs coming out of a shopping bag."

He also spoke of one of his less than successful campaigns with long time collaborator Juergen Teller and artist Cindy Sherman. The pair photographed, art directed and starred in a Marc Jacobs campaign in 2006 in which they played the roles of various different everyday characters. "We didn't sell anything, Nobody would look at those ads and think I want to look like that. Nobody."

Watch the full interview here


Via: Marc Jacobs: I was never a fat heroin addict

0 comments:

Post a Comment